Skip Navigation


Apartment Community FAQs

Are Housing Catalyst apartments expensive?2024-02-05T14:28:26-06:00

Housing Catalyst provides affordable apartment rentals in Fort Collins.

Do you accept co-signers?2024-02-05T15:43:18-06:00

We do not accept cosigners.

Do you allow pets?2023-07-26T11:11:50-06:00

Most of our communities are pet friendly! We accept a maximum of two pets per apartment. Pets are subject to Larimer County breed and animal restrictions. Please ask us if your pets qualify.

A pet deposit of $300 is due at lease signing. Monthly pet rent is $25 for one pet or $35 for two pets.

Does Housing Catalyst run credit and criminal checks?2024-02-05T14:25:39-06:00

Housing Catalyst does not run credit checks. When evaluating an application, we look at five years of criminal history and five years of rental history and/or professional references.

How much do I need at lease-up?2022-11-03T08:34:53-06:00

You are required to pay the security deposit and prorated rent, depending on the day of move-in at lease signing.

How much is the security deposit?2022-03-02T16:11:23-06:00

The security deposit for a one bedroom apartment is $400, for a two bedroom it is $500 and for three bedroom apartment it is $600.

Is there an application fee?2022-11-03T08:35:33-06:00

Yes, there is a $25 non-refundable application fee per adult.

What are the lease terms?2022-03-02T16:12:09-06:00

Leases for our affordable Fort Collins housing are written for 12 months. Leases for less than 12 months are at the discretion of the manager.

What is your guest policy?2022-11-03T08:36:16-06:00

Guests are allowed to remain in the apartment for 14 days per calendar year. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests at all times.

Voucher FAQs

Can a Housing Choice Voucher be transferred to another person?2022-11-03T09:11:30-06:00

No, Housing Choice Vouchers cannot be transferred between people.

Can Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to another city or area?2022-11-03T09:13:48-06:00

Yes, we call that portability. Housing Choice Vouchers may be transferred to another Public Housing Authority’s (PHA) service area if you have lived in your home for at least one year. However, the housing authority that covers the area you are moving to must be currently accepting vouchers. Please contact that agency for more information.

You can always contact us for help in transferring your voucher.

Do Housing Choice Vouchers expire?2022-11-03T09:09:29-06:00

No, rental assistance does not expire for households living in approved homes who continue to be eligible and are in good standing with Housing Catalyst.

Do properties that accept HCVs have to meet any quality standards?2022-11-03T09:16:41-06:00

Homes leased with the assistance of Housing Choice Vouchers are required to meet U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Housing Quality Standards for health and safety. Housing Catalyst inspects properties before accepting them into the program.

Does Section 8 still exist?2022-11-03T09:42:07-06:00

Section 8 is a term that was previously used for the Housing Choice Voucher program and other federally funded rental assistance programs. The name came from Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act in 1974, which established rental assistance programs outside of public housing.

I found a rental before receiving my voucher. Can I get approved sooner?2022-11-03T09:08:53-06:00

No. Finding a rental home before receiving your voucher does not have any influence on when you receive your voucher or your position on the waiting list.

Is there a charge to apply for housing assistance?2022-03-09T11:07:59-06:00

It is against HUD policy to charge for a Housing Choice Voucher application. However, homes made affordable through Project-based Rental Assistance (PBRA) are typically managed by private landlords, and application processes vary and PBRA landlords may charge an application fee.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher program?2022-11-03T09:33:16-06:00

The Housing Choice Voucher program (formerly known as Section 8) helps cover the cost of rent for families with low incomes, people with disabilities, and seniors. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own rental home, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by Housing Catalyst on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Voucher program participants usually pay about 30% of their monthly income toward rent.

What percentage of my income goes to rent when qualify for a Housing Choice Voucher?2022-11-03T09:20:05-06:00

Residents pay 30% of their income toward the rental. Housing Catalyst issues a payment to the property owner/manager for the difference between the resident’s payment and the market-rate of the rental.

Who is my landlord when I use a Housing Choice Voucher? Housing Catalyst or the property owner/manager?2022-11-03T09:06:55-06:00

The property owner/manager is your landlord. Please contact them for any issues with your home.

Voucher Waitlist FAQs

How do I know if the waiting list is open?2023-12-11T10:55:20-06:00

All waiting list openings are posted on our Voucher Waiting Lists webpage. If you would like to receive email notifications when waiting lists open, you can complete the sign-up form on that page.

How long is the waiting list?2023-12-11T10:53:07-06:00

Your time on the waiting list will vary depending on the program you have applied for, the size of apartment you need, your date of application, and other eligibility criteria.

What happens when I come to the top of the waiting list?2023-12-11T10:58:14-06:00

If you are on the waiting list for a Housing Choice Voucher, you will be contacted when you come to the top of the list. At that time, Housing Catalyst will ask for documentation verifying eligibility. Once eligibility is confirmed, and voucher assistance is available, you will be invited to a meeting to receive a voucher and information about the program. You will then be responsible for locating an eligible rental home in Larimer County where you can use your voucher.

If you are on the waiting list for a Project-Based Voucher, you will be contacted when your name comes to the top of the waiting list. At that time, Housing Catalyst will ask for documentation verifying eligibility and schedule a meeting to share information about the program.

To offer you assistance, we need to be able to contact you by mail. If your contact information changes, please update it through the Housing Catalyst RentCafé portal within ten days of the change.

Written notification of changes (Waiting List Change Form) can be sent to:

Housing Catalyst
1715 W. Mountain Ave.
Fort Collins, CO 80521

You may also fax changes to 970-221-0821 or email changes to [email protected].

Applicant FAQs

How do I apply for rental assistance?2023-12-11T11:03:53-06:00

Most of our rental assistance programs have waiting lists that open as availability arises. For details on the rental assistance programs we offer and how to apply, visit our Rental Assistance page.

What if I need a special unit or some other type of accommodation for my disability?2022-03-02T21:23:49-06:00

There is a place on the application for you to let us know that you will need some type of accommodation for your disability. You should also ask for a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form so that we can better understand exactly what your needs will be.

Who is eligible for the Rental Assistance programs?2022-03-02T21:33:33-06:00

Please see the Eligibility Guidelines for Housing Choice Vouchers and Project-Based Vouchers. Income Requirements vary for each of the housing programs we administer. You will need to consult with a program specialist for details and requirements.

Resident FAQs

Housing Choice Vouchers | Can I move before my lease is up?2022-03-02T21:36:02-06:00

Unless you are the victim of domestic violence, you would need your landlord’s permission to move before your lease is up.

Housing Choice Vouchers | How does Housing Catalyst set my payment standard?2022-03-02T21:36:54-06:00

We base its calculation of your payment standard using 100% of the Fair Market Rent (FMR) for Larimer County supplied by HUD. The bedroom size for your payment standard depends on your family size and composition.

Housing Choice Vouchers | How much can I pay on a new unit?2022-03-02T21:36:33-06:00

You can pay up to 40% of your adjusted gross income on a unit when you first lease up. You’ll have to decide for yourself if going over your payment standard is a good idea.

Housing Choice Vouchers | How much time do I have to look for a unit if I am moving?2022-03-02T21:36:27-06:00

Initially you would be issued a voucher good for 60 days. You can ask for an additional extension if you are looking and cannot find a place.

Housing Choice Vouchers | What happens if I have changes in my family composition in between my annual certification?2022-03-02T21:37:07-06:00

You should contact your Housing Specialist. You will have to fill out some paperwork to add or remove members of your household. The bedroom size of your voucher may increase or decrease at your next annual certification because of the changes.

Public Housing | Can I make alterations to my unit?2022-03-02T21:35:55-06:00

You should always check with the Maintenance Department or your Program Manager before making any alterations to your unit. Otherwise you could end up being in violation of your lease and also being charged to undo the alterations.

Public Housing | re pets allowed in public housing?2022-03-02T21:35:30-06:00

Yes, pets are allowed but there are some restrictions. You should contact your Program Manager to get the information you need. You should do this before you get the pet.

Public Housing | What if I lose my job or something else happens and my income decreases substantially?2022-03-02T21:35:01-06:00

Contact your Program Manager and let them know about your changed circumstances. They will be able to give you direction on how your changed circumstances will affect your rent.

Public Housing | What if something breaks in my unit after hours or on a weekend and it’s an emergency?2022-03-02T21:34:01-06:00

Call the main number for the Maintenance Department. Someone will always answer the phone and help you with your problem.

Property Manager FAQs

Can I evict a problem tenant?2022-03-02T21:46:18-06:00

As with any other tenant, the landlord may evict a Housing Choice Voucher tenant by following the state and local laws for eviction.

How do I request a rent increase?2022-03-02T21:46:02-06:00

After the first year of the lease, the landlord may request a rent increase with a 60-day notice to the tenant and the Housing Authority. The proposed increase must be reasonable and cannot exceed any rent increase on similar unassisted units.

If I take one tenant under the Housing Choice Voucher program, am I required to take more?2022-03-02T21:45:30-06:00

Taking additional participants is not required.

When will I receive the rent?2022-03-02T21:46:36-06:00

Upon the initial start of the lease, there may be a 15-30 day delay before receiving the first rental assistance check. After the initial check, the landlord will receive a check on the first of each month. The tenant will pay their portion of the rent as stated in the landlord’s lease agreement.

Who do I call if I have a question or problem?2022-03-02T21:43:26-06:00

Call Housing Catalyst at 416-2910 and ask to speak to your Housing Choice Voucher coordinator. If you are unsure whom to ask for, simply provide the first and last name of your tenant and you will be directed to the appropriate coordinator.

Who is responsible for paying the security deposit?2022-03-02T21:45:49-06:00

The tenant is responsible for paying the security deposit.

Go to Top