Housing Catalyst prioritizes building healthy and sustainable communities, whether it is new construction or preservation and rehabilitation of an existing property. We approach new construction and renovation with a focus on good design, environmental stewardship, and the importance of creating a sense of place that supports vibrant, engaged communities.
We solicit and hire only highly experienced architects, designers, and builders who specifically focus on health and sustainability and understand the needs and dynamics of affordable housing development; we consider access to transportation, recreation, internet connectivity, schools, and public services when selecting sites for multifamily housing; and all projects use an integrated approach to health and sustainability and excellence in design.
All Housing Catalyst projects use the Enterprise Green Communities criteria, national green building guidelines specifically for affordable housing, to ensure that our design and construction practices support access to healthier and more cost-efficient homes for residents of affordable communities. These criteria translate into healthier living environments, reduced operating costs, and increased sustainability through energy efficiency.
Focus on Economic, Environmental, and Social Health
- Housing Catalyst communities such as the Village on Redwood and the Village on Horsetooth offer residents beautiful, efficient spaces that take advantage of natural light and have energy-efficient fixtures, appliances, and systems. These communities promote health and social engagement with large green spaces, dedicated exercise spaces with equipment, playgrounds, clubhouses and community gardens.
- The Village on Plum renovation used updated design and energy efficient features to create more environmentally sustainable housing and healthier living spaces in a community initially built in the 1970s. Enhanced green space, a new playground and exercise equipment, and an inviting clubhouse encourage community connections and healthful lifestyles. Similar renovations were recently completed at the Village on Shields.
- Housing Catalyst is currently replacing existing light fixtures at multiple properties and office locations with LED lights that are more sustainable, more efficient, and increase enjoyment and usability of living spaces.
- Our development and property management teams regularly partner with Energy Outreach Colorado and the City of Fort Collins to take advantage of sustainability incentives that reduce energy costs for residents.
- Housing Catalyst has won numerous awards for community revitalization, design and sustainability, including:
- 2019 NAHRO Award of Excellence for Community Revitalization of Village on Shields
- 2019 NAHRO Award of Merit for Community Revitalization of Village on Shields
- 2019 NAHRO Award of Merit in Affordable Housing for Village on Horsetooth
- 2019 CO NAHRO YES! In my Backyard Award for Village on Shields Rehab
- 2018 Fort Collins Utilities Energy Efficiency Award for Village on Redwood