Skip Navigation


Can Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to another city or area?

Yes, we call that portability. Housing Choice Vouchers may be transferred to another Public Housing Authority's (PHA) service area if you have lived in your home for at least one year. However, the housing authority that covers the area you are moving to must be currently accepting vouchers. Please contact that agency for more information. More...

By |2022-11-03T09:13:48-06:00March 9th, 2022||0 Comments

What is the Housing Choice Voucher program?

The Housing Choice Voucher program (formerly known as Section 8) helps cover the cost of rent for families with low incomes, people with disabilities, and seniors. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own rental home, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant More...

By |2022-11-03T09:33:16-06:00March 9th, 2022||0 Comments

Does Section 8 still exist?

Section 8 is a term that was previously used for the Housing Choice Voucher program and other federally funded rental assistance programs. The name came from Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act in 1974, which established rental assistance programs outside of public housing.

By |2022-11-03T09:42:07-06:00March 9th, 2022||0 Comments
Go to Top